The Premier League has always been known for being one of the best leagues in the world and featuring relentless title chases and dramatic relegation battles. But it also features some really weird facts.
Here are 20 unbelievable Premier League facts that you didn’t know!
- Manchester United have never lost a premier league game at Old Trafford in which they led at half time!
- Gareth Bale is the only player ever to have scored, assisted, scored an own goal and receive a yellow card all in one match!
- The Premier League has never had a title winning English Manager…
- In 2009, Tottenham and Wigan were involved in the highest scoring Premier League game where Spurs won 9-1.
- Only three players born after the Premier League began (1992) have scored hat-tricks (Raheem Sterling, Harry Kane and Romelu Lukaku).
- Sir Alex Ferguson has won the most Premier League titles (12).
- Alan Shearer holds the record for the most penalties scored and the most penalties missed in the League.
- In the 2004/05 season, Chelsea won the record of scoring the most points in a single season! They scored 95 in total.
- Sebastien Bassong was relegated four times with three different Premier League Clubs (Newcastle once, Wolves once and Norwich twice)
- Richard Wright spent 5 years at both Arsenal and City and only played a combined total of 12 games, but won two titles!
- No team in Premier League history has more yellow cards than Chelsea (over 1200 bookings).
- Ryan Giggs is the most substituted player in the league’s history (134 substitutions).
- In the 2015/16 season, Aston Villa only led for 243 minutes in total for the season which is the fewest number of minutes in the Premier League’s history.
- Swindon Town endured one of the most unfortunate seasons when they let in 100 goals in the league (1993/94 season).
- In the 2014/15 season, Leicester City were in the relegation position for 140 days which was the longest period in Premier League history and still didn’t get relegated!
- Ledley King is the proud owner of the fastest goal ever scored in the Premier League. He scored in just 10 seconds! (2000/01 season)
- Sunderland and Derby County are the only teams to have ever only won one game in a single season in the Premier League.
- Terry Conner (previous Wolves manager) is the only manager to take charge of over 10 Premier League games and not win a single one!
- The first keeper ever to score in the Premier League was Peter Schmeichel when he scored against Everton for Aston Villa in 2001.
- Only two players have scored penalties with both feet in the premier league (Bobby Zamora and Obafemi Martins)
There you have it! 20 bizarre and crazy facts in the Premier League you probably didn’t know!