Anrich Nortje has been ruled out of the ICC world cup due to a fractured hand with Chris Morris coming into the squad instead.
Nortje had previously picked up a shoulder injury during the ODI series against Sri Lanka back in March. Nortje had bowled a few overs in practice matches for Afghanistan and looked to be on a good path to recovery.
On Tuesday afternoon, however, Proteas management confirmed that Anrich had been withdrawn from the squad due to a fractured hand.
“Anrich sustained a fracture to his right thumb during a net session in Port Elizabeth on Monday. He immediately consulted a hand surgeon and underwent surgery to stabilize the joint and will, unfortunately, be sidelined for up to eight weeks. This makes him unavailable for the upcoming ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup,” Proteas team manager, Dr Mohammed Moosajee, said.
Nortje will be replaced by all-rounder Chris Morris. Morris last played an ODI for South Africa in February 2018 but has been out of the squad due to injuries
“Chris has always been in our plans and is our next best option with the ball”, the convenor of selectors said. Morris is currently playing in the IPL for the Delhi Capital where he has taken 13 wickets in nine matches.